Hello, we’re the Johnson Family — Matt, Vivian, Hannah, and Aaron, a cat named Zoey, and a guinea pig named Harold. We live in the Omaha metro area and have been having lots of fun and writing all about it for over 13 years now.
This humble blog first started on blogspot.com, back in the pre-Facebook era, when our small cluster of friends used “blogs” to tell the world what they were doing. I started this one shortly after I had my first date with Vivian, who had a blog of her own. (For some reason I thought creating one would impress her.) This blog chronicles our entire relationship, from the moment we “made it official” and started dating to today. Along the way, I chronicled fun we’ve had with our friends over the years, including the Omaha Jitterbugs, long-distance friends in Comic Genesis, and anything else fun that happens here in Omaha. More recently, there has been a particular emphasis on the food we eat and the politicians I meet. For the most part, however, this blog consists of the random, fun things we do with our family and friends every week, including swing dancing, playing at the park, going on trips, attending concerts, and participating in whatever photo-worthy activities are happening nearby.
If you’d like to make the most out of reading this blog, here are a few bullet points to keep in mind:
- Most of my blog entries have hyperlinks leading to additional photos to provide context and information to each post. Click on them! They are presented in a “lightbox” format so you won’t actually leave the page.
- I regularly post photos on Flickr and occasionally post videos on YouTube.
- I’m a political junkie and I love being engaged in our political system by meeting and greeting (and getting to photograph) people who represent us, both Republicans and Democrats. That includes local politicians as well as nearly everyone who ran for President in 2016 (living this close to Iowa makes it easy). I’m a conservative, but I try to keep my blog politically neutral and make a point to hear both sides.
- You’ll see lots of pictures of food in this blog. That trend of taking photos of your dinner when eating out? I started that. Omaha’s a great place to eat, and we have plenty of friends who love to cook, including my wife. If you’re into food porn, you’ll appreciate this part of my blog. If you don’t, you have my pity.
- I’ve been drawing a regular web comic over the past decade or two, and the latest of these are listed on the right-hand sidebar. My first comic was titled Cortland and appeared on Comic Genesis and the e-zine ATPM. I started drawing Out at Five in 2008 and still update it regularly. Many of the cool people I’ve met via web comics are featured in earlier entries of this blog, and I’ve traveled all over the place to meet up with them in person: St. Louis, Nashville, Toronto, and even London, England.
- I’m a graphic designer working full-time in Omaha and freelancing during my off hours, You can check out my resume and (dated) portfolio at my professional web site, mattaj.com. (Though I don’t usually write about work-related stuff here.)
That’s it. Happy reading! If you want to post a comment, please do. It’s the only way I know for sure anybody reads this thing.