2017 is finally done!
Here’s a quick (OK, long and tedious) recap.
- In January, we celebrated our tenth sushi anniversary and hosted our fifth cheese party. I got to watch a dramatic BCS Championship Game with my pastor’s family and my dad. The kids got to see some trains and some characters from Star Wars. Vivian gave Jack a haircut, and I said goodbye to my old Taurus (and hello to a CR-V). Donald Trump also became President, and Hannah made an apple pie. Hannah and I also got a new toy.
- In February, we had enough snow for sledding and a snowball fight at the park, and enough warmth for a bike ride to work and around the park with the kids (in short sleeves). We watched the Super Bowl go into overtime, and Hannah reenacted the event the morning after. We had quiche, smoked salmon, and dim sum for Valentine’s Day, along with a Murder Mystery Dinner. We also took the kids to the circus and celebrated Grammy and Pop-Pop’s anniversary. Jessica also hosted a chili cookoff, and then we had jambalaya with friends for Mardi Gras.
- In March, we had fish fries at St. John Vianney and St. Charles Borromeo. We did Dr. Seuss at the Children’s Museum and Fairies at the Fontenelle Forest. Hannah made Gingerbread men, Vivian made corned beef for St. Patrick’s Day, and my dad made Kung Pao Chicken Pizza for Uncle Jonny’s birthday.
- In April, we rubbed elbows with Jean Stothert, Taylor Royal, Pete Ricketts, and Scott Walker, some democrats, and the Prairie Cats ahead of the Omaha Mayoral race. Our flowers bloomed, we had a picnic or two, and we had one last fish fry with my parents and the Mills. We had a full Easter Weekend with breakfast, egg hunting, dinner, and a reunion with The Mads from MST3K. There was also a Ren Fair, Telestrations, and a Roof Baby.
- In May, we took Grammy and the kids to Pella, Iowa for a Tulip festival. We flew some kites with Grandpa, and we celebrated Mother’s Day with Ceviche, Chicken Alfredo, and pie. I got to see Mayor Jean get reelected while hobnobbing with a Congressman and a Governor or two. Hannah graduated from Preschool and Rainbows and played in some mud. We also saw 88 Improv, visited Stinko at the Lauritzen Gardens. and then shook our booties to KC and the Sunshine Band at Loessfest.
- In June, the Rietjens came to visit, the Folkens got some meat, Aaron turned three, and Aunt Nancy and Uncle Andy came to visit. Jenny and Kody had a housewarming, Bellevue had a tornado, and the kids got swim lessons and a sandbox. Deb Fischer had a town hall and kicked off her Senate campaign, and I had breakfast with Dennis Prager. There was also King Lear, Father’s Day, a Food Truck War, Lindy in the Park, and Kool and the Gang.
- In July, we saw Merry Wives of Windsor and the Ralston Parade in the rain. I had pancakes with some Republicans and had fireworks with the family for the Fourth. I sang the Nations of the World song with Yakko at O Comic Con (and also saw Nellie Olson, Non, Courage the Cowardly Dog, the Blue Ranger, Big Bird, and Darth Maul). We had a garage sale for Hannah and a birthday for Grammy. Vivian and I had an anniversary with a water park, a secret bridge (and gate), and way too much Brazilian Barbecue. Hannah, Aaron, and Grammy all places in the cake show, we visited the lake, and Phil and Jen warmed their house. We also visited the SumTur, and I met my Congressman at a town hall.
- In August, we took the kids to Fun Plex and Lost in Fun. Vivian and I saw a solar eclipse at the Homestead National Monument in Beatrice with Nathan, Bill Nye, and a few thousand other people. I had a tomato-riffic birthday, and Libby and Ole tied the knot.
- In September, we went camping over Labor Day with the Mills. We watched some balloons glow at Ditmar’s Orchard and won free meals for a year from the Bellevue Arby’s. There was an invasion of butterflies, and Hannah got a haircut. We picked Apples in Nebraska City and then bounced around at Metro FCU’s MemberFest. We had Hibachi, Sushi, and a fire pit for Vivian’s birthday, and we also saw John Crist and Jonnie W in “El Corn.”
- In October, we had a long, fun day at Vala’s and took a Hayrack Ride with the Halls. We saw some beautiful autumn leaves, watched the Jungle Book, and had Daddy’s Night at Welcome School. We also celebrated Halloween at the Children’s Museum, at First Presbyterian Church, with the Omaha Jitterbugs, at Dean and Sarah’s house, in Olde Town Bellevue, and at Heritage Ridge!
- In November, we saw Johnny Boyd and his band. Hannah had a “fairy happy” Birthday, and we had a big smoked turkey for Thanksgiving. We kicked off the Christmas season with a tree-lighting at Union Station, a Winter Wonderland in Papillion, and some decorating at home and at church.
- In December, we celebrated some mommies-to-be. We kicked off the Christmas Season in Olde Town Bellevue, at the Library, at Thanksgiving Lutheran, and at BCC. We had Christmas Parties for Work and Friends, and had a big Christmas Weekend with lights, snow, and celebration at home, church, and my parent’s house. We also had a first date anniversary with Dim Sum and rang in the new year with a cheese fondue.